The best tool for resolving disputes within a design team, for making design decisions based on data rather than opinion, is sitting next to someone who is a real person who wants to accomplish something as they use your design to do it.
— Dana Chisnell, User Researcher, United States Digital Service
Do it yourself
- User Research Policy Toolkit. This guide will help you develop policy that makes it easier to implement user centered principles.
- Resident Survey Guide. Use this guide from our Digital Front Door program if you are planning to reach out to your greater community to solicit their feedback.
- Read: Beyond Transparency, Data and Design in Innovative Citizen Experiences. In our Publication 'Beyond Transpatency' Cyd Harrell discusses how to use data and design processes to improve the citizen experience with city services.
- Read: Chicago Smart Collaborative Cut Group Handbook. The Smart Chicago Collaborative developed this book to share their experiences launching and running a civic user testing group.
- Read: An Introduction to User Research Techniques. The Government Digital Service in the UK compiled lessons of user research into this toolkit.
- Read: Eight Strategies of user research that work for Gov.uk. The Government Digital Service in the UK shares eight strategies of user research that worked for them.
Next Generation of Civic Designers
Dana Chisnell, User Researcher at the United States Digital Service on how public servants are civic designers.