Data-driven Decision Making
Use real-time data to inform decisions. Set key metrics to determine if programs and services are regularly meeting objectives and analyze the data to gain insights and drive actions that help improve community outcomes.
Practice Data-driven Desicion Making
We're publishing a set of guides, tools and resources for governments that want to start practicing data-driven desicion making.
- Beyond Transparency: This digital book was recently produced by Code for America and contains stories of agencies and individuals using data to drive performance and service creation and development.
- Analytics Dashboard: The City Analytics Dashboard lets you display the live traffic on your website easily from your Google Analytics account, launch in a few minutes.
- LocalData: LocalData is a mapping platform that helps cities and communities make data-driven decisions by capturing and visualizing street-level information in real time.
- CivicInsight: Simple, clear language and visualizations help residents make sense of complicated processes like code enforcement and building permits. With fewer questions from residents, agency staff have more time to focus on their work.
- 2012 Summit Presentation: Theresa Reno-Weber shares information about The Office of Performance Improvement
- 2015 Summit Panel Discussion: Want to start an analytics shop in your city? We'll help you get started
- 2014 Summit Panel Discussion: Clearly defining goals in performance management programs
- Read: The Responsive City: Stephen Goldsmith and Susan Crawford aggragated case studies from around the country of how cities are using data to engage their communities more effectivley.
- Read: Resource list from the Data Smart City: Data Smart City Solutions published a list of resources about Stat programs around the country.
- Read: GDS UK Data Bog: The Government Digital Service in the UK keeps blogs for each of its departments, this is an ongoing chronicle of their Data team.
- Watch: City Analytics, a Government Web Reporting Kit You Can Set and Forget: Web analytics should produce actionable reporting to better serve citizen needs. Learn about the City of Philadelphia's analytics tool any government can use.