Build the right team
Invest in people who value the role of digital at all levels of the organization. Increase tech skills and literacy among staff, hire new tech talent where it’s needed, and build multidisciplinary teams focused on delivery.
Digital must be a key skill of government, at all levels, owned by the people responsible for delivering programs and services to the public.
Practice building the right team
- 2015 Summit Video: Maksim Pecherskiy, Almis Udrys: Lessons from bringing technologists into the City of San Diego’s government.
- 2015 Summit Video: Daro Mott: Developing great people in government - Staff Development System with 7 tools
- 2015 Summit Video: Ariel Kennan: Getting Designers into Government - Informing the right communities
- Read: The CIO problem, pt 1: Getting the responsibilities, skills, leadership characteristics, and reporting structures right is a necessary step to recruiting the right person or people.
- Read: The CIO problem, pt 2: What titles we give to the people who do the work of technology and innovation in government matter less than what gets done and whether the result works for the people who use the service you are providing.
- Watch: Growing the pie for IT talent through TechHire: how to grow the pie with TechHire, an initiative to expand the pool for IT talent through accelerated training and inclusive hiring practices focused on skills and competencies rather than degrees or pedigree.