CodeAcross 2014 is a weekend of events taking place in cities around the world. There will be events hosted simultaneously in dozens of cities all around the globe on the weekend of February 21-23, 2014. Coinciding with International Open Data Day, the goal of CodeAcross is to activate the Code for America network and inspire residents everywhere to get actively involved in their community.
CodeAcross events will be hosted by members of the CfA network: Fellows, government partners, and volunteers. This is the third annual CodeAcross event (formerly Code Across America).
This year, we're offering a theme for CodeAcross: Beyond Transparency. Let's take the open government movement one step further, by focusing on not only making data open, but actionable. Join us to push the ball forward in your community.
Who Should Get Involved?: Urbanists, Civic Hackers, Government Staff, Developers, Designers, etc. - anyone with the passion to make their city better.
Use these challenges developed by CfA and the Sunlight Foundation at your event. CodeAcross participants of any technical proficiency level can participate!
- The Open Data Inventory: Take stock of where your city stands on publishing some fundamental datasets.
- Open Data Policy: Work with your local officials to create an open data policy, or draft an implementation plan or accountability structure for a recently passed policy.
- Open Civic Data Scraper: Create scrapers to pull down important civic information to feed the Open Civic Data API.
- Portal Hunt: Help us find and collect all the open data portals!
- Template CodeAcross Slide Deck: You can fork this and use for your opening remarks
- Event Planner's Checklist
- Launching Your Brigade at CodeAcross guide
- CodeAcross Organizer Webinars: Check out the video recordings and notes from January 16, 2014 and February 11, 2014.
- Shared Drive folder for organizers. Add resources you've made for your event so other organizers can fork them.
- For those organizers who need info on expense reimbursement, check out the expense reimbursement process
- Esri Resources: Esri is the location platform for developers—simplified GeoEnrichment, spatial analysis, and visualization. You can geo-enable your apps with the SDK of your choice.
- Microsoft Resources: Learn more about Microsoft's resources for developers and startups.
- Local Press Release Template
- International Press Release Template
- CodeAcross Talking Points
- Wall sign: standard or print ready
- Stickers (2" rounds)
- CodeAcross flyer
- "Should I go to CodeAcross?" flowchart poster
- DIY guide for tabletop display
- Code for America's recently released anthology "Beyond Transparency" features stories written by some of civic tech best and brightest. Read about the impact of open data on cities across the country. Download the book.